Friday, June 18, 2010

Unbelievable Peanut Butter Cookies

When I was a young mother raising my children, I was concerned about nutrition and being sure they ate properly and stayed healthy. Which meant not too many sweets and hold down the junk food and carbonated sodas; being sure they learned to eat a variety of vegetables and nutritious foods. But, at the same time, Moms want their kids to have reasonably healthy treats. I liked this recipe because it uses a minimum of ingredients and is simple to make and is sure better than store-bought. Of course, you're out of luck if your little ones don't like peanut butter. But, there again, I was in luck. Peanut butter was a staple at our house. My husband even learned to eat it.

Unbelievable Cookies

1 cup peanut butter (either creamy or crunchy)
1 cup sugar (I cut this to 3/4 cup and it works fine, less sweet)
1 egg

Mix peanut butter and sugar. Add egg and mix well. Roll into walnut size balls (or bigger). Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and flatten with fork (dip fork in granulated sugar to help prevent sticking to cookie). Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. This recipe will double very well. You may want to start out with double as the cookies disappear fast.

3 comments:

Mac said...

I didn't really like most peanut butter cookies, but I remember liking these okay, because they weren't so generically sweet. My little sis loved, loved, loved these, though.

I liked the molasses cookies you made, better.

Marguerite Butler said...

Mmm, I love a good peanut butter. I'll post my oatmeal cookie recipe sometime tonight. It's something I tell myself is a reasonably healty treat.

Lynne said...

To make these really well, you need to cut the sugar down to about a scant 3/4 cup.