Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Turtle cookies

Now that I have reached my "Golden Years", I look back on the years of raising my three children and one of the things I remember as being very special is being in the kitchen with my girls. They were always in the kitchen with me when I made meals or did dishes or churned butter of made special things, like cookies and breads and desserts. They were my helpers from the time they were tall enough to stand on a chair and reach the cupboards. They learned their fractions and to read from recipes. One of my favorite things was cooking with the girls. It was just fun, but they were learning life skills.

I'd like to share this recipe with Moms with young children. It is quick and easy and fun for the kids. My grandson even got into the act after he came along. They all love doing it and love the results.



Turtle Cookies

Preheat your waffle iron.

6 tablespoons cocoa OR 2 squares baking chocolate
(If you use cocoa add 2 tblsp. butter)
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1 tblsp vanilla
1 cup flour

Melt chocolate and butter. (If you use cocoa instead of chocolate squares, blend it into the sugar and just add the melted butter to the eggs vanilla and sugar). Beat the eggs, vanilla and sugar, add chocolate and butter. Fold in the flour. When well blended, drop by teaspoonfuls onto heated waffle iron and cook approiximately one minute.
These are great plain or dusted with powdered sugar, or if you really want a chocolate fix, frost them with the Never Fail Chocolate Icing.

Icing
1/2 cup shortening or oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cocoa
1/3 cup milk
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
3-1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar (adjust for spreading consistency, if necessary.)
Put all ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir until moistened then beat with beater to proper consistency.

Moms, be patient and be prepared for a little mess and a LOT of fun with the little ones. My girls were operating the waffle iron from the start and felt like they were cooking, long before they were old enough to use the stove. If they burned a batch of cookies, no big deal, it's only four cookies. The memories are priceless.

5 comments:

Mac said...

Yay, Mom!

I remember this being terrific fun when I was little - and even when I was older, actually. But I remember making these when I was still little enough that I could stand on a kitchen chair with my little sister so we could reach the the countertop, and take turns spooning the cookie-batter onto the waffle-iron. I always like these even better than brownies or cake.

Jan O'Hara (Tartitude) said...

Hello, Mac's Mom. *waves* You raised a fine daughter. The cookies sound awesome too. :) Welcome to the blogosphere.

Mac said...

(You can call her Barb or Barbara, I bet. :) That's usually what people do...)

Mac's Mom said...

Jan Thanks for the welcome. I find this is a lot of fun for me. I came to computers late in life so I'm still in the learning process, but really enjoying it

Lynne said...

My son did get into the act, but now he would prefer we split the labor into two parts, I cook and he eats.