Ingredients:2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup chilled butter
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Cut the butter into small pieces and blend into the flour with a pastry blender or fork. The mixture should look like coarse crumbs.
- If you wish to add raisins, or dried fruit, add about 1/3 to 1/2 cup now, and stir them in.
- In a small measuring cup combine the whipping cream (or a mixture of cream and milk), beaten egg and vanilla.
- Add combined liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients, and stir just until the mixture becomes a dough you can easily handle. You want to mix and handle the dough as little as possible since the more you handle it, the tougher the scones will be.
- Remove the dough from the bowl; most of it should adhere into a single lump.
- Knead the dough gently on a lightly floured surface to mix in any odd crumbs or dry flour left in the bowl.
- Roll or pat out the dough into a rectangle that's about an inch to an inch and a half thick (depending on how many scones you wish to make).
- If you want to make the scones sparkle, lightly sprinkle a little granulated sugar over the rectangle. Cut the rectangle into six to twelve scones.
- Transfer the scones to a lightly oiled baking sheet.
- Bake 375 F. for about 15 minutes, or until the scones are lightly browned.